Tuesday 8 April 2014

Chickadee Nest

A few weeks ago, I decided to make a chickadee nesting tube from instructions I found on the web at http://web2.uwindsor.ca/courses/biology/dmennill/nestbox.html

I followed the instructions with one exception: instead of using metal strapping to attach the tube to the tree, I used heavy-duty Velcro for outdoor use. The Velcro is more flexible, easier to adjust, and it can be attached so tightly that it doesn't need to be nailed on. Here's my finished project, painted in the only exterior latex that I had on hand, and stuffed full of wood shavings:


I'd hardly put it up on our old pear tree before it was already being checked out by a prospective tenant. Now the pair are busy excavating the tube to their liking.These little birds move so fast that I resorted to making a movie after taking at least half a dozen photos that completely missed the birds. It's not a very good movie,so I'll try again and hope to have one good enough to post.






No comments: