Friday 8 June 2012

More blooms

Some plants are ignoring the grey skies we've had lately and opening in spite of them.

I'm delighted that my favourite peony 'Festiva Maxima', which I bought a year ago as a shrivelled little tuber, has already found the strength to put out one gorgeous, scented, goosefeather flower.


Across the path from it, a red Sanguisorba, whose name I have forgotten, echoes the flecks of crimson on the peony petals.


Several Nectaroscordum siculum (formerly Allium siculum) are scattered among the foliage of a red peony that is thick with buds but yet to open. These onion-family bulbs need a bit of support from neighbours to keep them upright and the peony seems to be doing a good job there.


As everyone who grows it knows, lady's mantle looks best in the rain, when the tiny hairs on the leaves hold gleaming globules of water.



Rain also complements the dark leaves of Ligularia dentata 'Desdemona'


All the same, I'd rather have some sunshine.

No comments: