Thursday 6 September 2007

Innovative garden centre

Last week my sister introduced me to her favourite Sydney garden centre. Everything was well laid out and well labelled, although the choice was not as wide as in a large Vancouver nursery. The selection of Australian native plants was particularly good, and I bought a couple of kangaroo paws (Anigozanthos sp.) as well as a silver-leafed Convulvulus cneorum.
However, what really impressed me was that beyond the checkouts there was a small station with tap, sink and airdryer for customers to wash their hands. This seems to me an idea that other garden centres would do well to copy, as we all end up with dirty hands from picking up and putting down pots. It's a particularly generous gesture in Australia where water is not free as it is in Canada.

No comments: